Wednesday 20 May 2015

The Blind Lady`s Descendants

The Blind Lady`s Descendants

Anees Salim`s book, “The Blind Lady`s Descendants” won the Raymond Crossword award in 2014 in fiction category. One of the three judges said this one wasn`t included even in the long list of ninety books that they were initially provided. It`s because of Anjum Hasan, one of the three judges, that Salim`s book got listed at the last moment and finally made it to the top spot.
When I began to read the book in my kindle after discovering the above mentioned incident, I was curious to know what was it that made Anjum Hasan to include it. A few paragraph down, I knew why.

Written like an autobiographical style, it`s the story of Amar, a young Muslim boy who turned atheist when he turned thirteen. The reason why he became an atheist is one the funniest anecdote of the story which spans about two decades. The writer never mentions the geographical location of the little town, but from the descriptions it seems to be somewhere in coastal provinces of Kerala or Karnataka. A derelict bungalow with lots of trees around in the front yard, a century old railway tunnel made by British, four siblings, their grumpy father who had stopped talking to his wife for some sixteen years set the mood of a funny, dark as well as gripping tale that will not let you keep it closed until finished.

Having grown up in similar small town, a railway township of eastern India, I found a queer similarity of Amar`s story with my own; and maybe this was the reason why I loved it so much.

The blind lady in question is Amar`s maternal grandmother, who ultimately gets killed by her own daughter Asma, the mother of the four children. Hamsa, the father of the four children, is one archetypal male, perpetually disgruntled for being a loser he was all along his life, who secretly married another woman at Malabar where he allegedly went to buy spices. We know in the end those were his routine visits to his second wife in guise of work.

Sophiya, the third child dies in a boat mishap and Akmal, the second one disappears following his transition from a religious boy to radical terrorist. Jasira, the eldest, gets married to a local professor while Amar, who is the alter ego of Javi, his maternal uncle who killed himself at a young age remains till the end to tell us the story.

Nothing extraordinary happens, but all the small incidents that a common man experiences are there in the book in vivid colours. I liked the way he writes and before this one finished, I got another Anees Salim book downloaded. But that`s for another occasion.


Debashis Deb

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you like books that are similar to your writing style :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great beginning to blogging, Debashis. Enjoyed reading your take on this book. It is part of my TBR list, must shift it to the top. Looking forward to reading more from you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my blog! DI, you are so right to note my inclination. I think everybody tends to read his writing genre more than others to learn how the experts write. I am trying to read other genres but I find it tough unless the story is very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia, I am delighted! Please do visit frequently. Hope I will be regular enough to post to keep your interest intact!

    ReplyDelete