Tuesday 15 September 2015

The Horse rider







I wrote this story following Amish`s preface for Write India story competition of TOI in August 2015. The first paragraph is written by Amish.


Close to the city of Paithan, in a small village called Sauviragram, which lay along the banks of the great river Godavari, lived a woman named Ilaa. Being cotton farmers, her family was well to do, but (did not feature amongst the most affluent people in the area) not among the richest in their area. It was the harvest season, and cotton had to be picked from the plants. The wholesalers and traders from Paithan would be arriving in just a few weeks, carrying gold and goods for barter. They would exchange what they carried for the cotton that the farmers grew. The bales of cotton had to be ready in time! Work was at its peak!

But Ilaa was not to be found in the fields. She wasn't working. Instead, she was sitting by the banks of the great river Godavari
.

'I am sick of this!' she grunted loudly.
Top of Form


“Sick of what Illa?” Her friend Sumati asked.

“Marriage. Is it the only thing a girl is raised for?”

“No; marriage is important, but it can’t be the only thing in a woman’s life.” Sumati said.

“Father says that he is going to marry me off this winter.”

“That`s a good news Ilaa! Why are you making a face? Who is that fortunate man?” Sumati asked.

“A businessman. His name is Govind.”

“Govind? That cloth merchant from Paithan?” Sumati asked.

“How do you know him?” Ilaa asked, surprised.

“One of my cousins is married to his neighbour. During my last visit to Paithan, when we went to the bazaar, my cousin took me to Govind`s shop. He has a sari shop, a fairly big one.

‘’Yes, the same one, I guess. Last year when he came to buy cotton from us, he told haughty stories to impress my father. After he was gone, father babbled all the day about how big and flourishing his business was. How a young man like him had done it all alone. He came to our house next week with the proposal of marriage and a gift of paithani silk saris. How barefaced can a man be! He said that those saris were made from precious China silk and that he got them weaved by his own private craftsman only for us! Big mouth! I know he has a business, but it`s not as big as he boasts it to be. Whatever he says, he makes up most of it, I am sure; but my father wouldn’t listen to me.” Ilaa said.

“What happened after that?”

“I convinced my father to allow me to complete my music training, and got the marriage postponed by a year. But this year, he is adamant about putting a date to the marriage. I heard Govind is going to visit us next week with his parents to fix the date."

“But how do you know that he is a swindler?”

“You have to just look at his face to know what kind of man he is. I feel he is just another wanton scoundrel, under the guise of a gentleman.”

“Why do you think so illa?

“I don`t like the way he looks at me. I find his stare disturbing. I feel as if he were undressing me with his eyes.”

“Are you sure you are not imagining things? That might be his way of expressing his feelings. I think he has fallen head over heels for this gorgeous damsel.” Sumati smiled and gave her a playful nudge. “Some people are not so good at those social skills. So far I know, Govind has a reasonably good character, and he is still a bachelor. ”

“So, does that empower him to marry a girl even if she isn’t willing?”

“No, that`s a different matter altogether.” Sumati said. After few minutes of reflection she said again, “I have a feeling that you have somebody in your mind. Am I right Ilaa?”

Sumati saw her friend looked away, avoiding her gaze as if the truth would be revealed if their eyes met. She held her friend`s chin and turned it towards her.

“Look at my eyes.” She said,” Now tell me what`s the matter.”

Ilaa` s cheek was flushed, crimson, as though all her blood had risen to her face. Her beautiful eyes, framed by dreamy, long eyelashes were shinning like never before. Is that the face of a woman who had fallen in love? Sumati wondered.

“Are you in love with somebody?” Sumati asked. She was clueless about her friend`s ire which apparently had no basis. Most girls of the village were married off at an early age. Eighteen was right age for them to get married. Though her own story was different; she had a club foot from birth that made her limp, but it was expected that suitors would bid for Ilaa, a beautiful maid of a well to do family, who can read and write as well. Govind, though illiterate, was a well heeled man and would have made a good match without doubt. He had a bald patch which was rapidly growing, hidden under his pagdi; but how would that matter when he was able to gift his would be wife a couple of golden bordered silk saris? After all, men are not judged by their looks!

Ilaa lowered her gaze. The setting sun in the west had turned the sky magical, luminescent. The gentle breeze carried a sweet smell from the cotton fields, afar.

“Yes, I am.” Ilaa said.

‘’Who is he?” Sumati whispered.

“A horse rider.”

“A horse rider!” Sumati said, her eyes were wide and mouth gaping in surprise. “But who is he?”

“A soldier.”

“A soldier also has a name! Come on Ilaa, tell me. I am your best friend!”

“I don`t know his name. But I know if I am to marry someone, then it will be him.” Ilaa said.

“Oh God! You sound like a moony.”

“If I close my eyes I see him galloping away by the river. He rides like a storm, he is fierce like a tiger but he always slows down when he spots me returning home with my pail of water. I can smell him from distance; I can recognise him from the canter of his chestnut.”

“Has he told you that he loves you?”

“No, not yet. We haven`t spoken, but I know; eyes don’t lie.”

“So this is the reason why you dislike poor Govind!” Sumati said.

The bank of mighty river was desolate except the two friends sitting under a coconut palm. A boat was ferrying the villagers from Nandagram, the village that lay across the river. Ilaa was lost in her day dream when Sumati said,

“Tell me more about your soldier. Tell me when did you meet him for the first time?”

“I met him here, on the bank of Godavari.” Ilaa said. “It was an afternoon like this, a year ago. The king`s soldiers had camped somewhere far in the empty cotton fields. The harvest was over already. I was going back home, humming a song. Then I heard trot of a horse following me. I dismissed it thinking I was hallucinating because there wasn’t anybody around except the kid that never lives me alone, capering ahead of mine, its bell making sweet tinkles. Then a man spoke.”

“Was he the soldier?” Sumati asked.

“Yes, it was him. I didn’t know him, but he was in warrior`s livery, with the royal insignia engraved over his left chest. With one look at him, I knew he was a soldier. When he got off the horse, I was trembling, thinking what wrong I had done, but he was quick to recognise my apprehension.” Ilaa said.

“Didn’t he tell you anything?” Sumati asked.

“He said he was a soldier but there was no reason to get scared of him because he wasn’t in hot pursuit of an outlaw, and strolling on the bank of Godavari was not an offence at all.”

“Didn’t he ask your name?”

“No, he didn’t. He just mounted his horse and galloped away. After he had left, I stood there flabbergasted for some time. I was wondering why he got off his horse.” Ilaa said.

“It`s surprising.” Sumati said.

“We bumped on each other on the streets and bazaar, but we never spoke. It was only during couple of weeks ago, he asked my name.”

“At least now he knows your name.” Sumati said.

Both the friends had a hearty laugh. As they were coming home they met a couple of bullock carts returning, packed with bales of cotton procured from their village. A few scrawny bare bodied kids screamed and ran after the carts just to annoy the coachman.



When Ilaa returned home, she met her father and two elder brothers sitting in they yard discussing something. They suddenly became silent as they saw her approaching. Her father looked angry, his face stiff, vacant vacant for a few moments then all hell broke loose.

“Where have you been for the whole day?” Her father demanded.

“I was with Sumati in her house.” Ilaa skipped the river bank sojourn.

“No, it`s not true.” Her father roared.” I checked. You went there but after some time you sneaked away with Sumati. Where did you go?”

“We went to the bank of the river.” Ilaa said.

“Why? Whom did you meet there?”

“Father, you are mistaken. I haven’t met anybody there. We went there just to sit and talk; nothing else.” Ilaa said.

“Aren’t you two gossiping all the time at home too? What`s the need of going to the deserted riverside in the afternoon and invite trouble? Haven’t you seen the royal army parading in the nearby ground? ”

Ilaa`s heart missed a couple of beats on mention of the king`s soldiers. So her father knew about the drill that the king`s force sometimes undertake at the riverside. Was he aware of her secret admirer too? But how could that be? She didn’t even know his name! Except exchanging few glances they haven’t done anything so far. Then suddenly she recalled she had told him her name when they met last. But why was her father suspecting her to be a dissolute? Did the soldier send a proposal too?Top of Form

Her mother, who was watching from the door step, came to her rescue.

“For God`s sake leave the girl alone. She is upset already, and three of you will drive her mad!” she said.

Illa ran inside, leaving her fuming father in the yard, who now chose to torment his wife instead. She heard her father yelling maxims to his wife that longer a daughter remains at her father`s home more trouble it brews as the parents lose their grip upon their children after some time. He would, therefore, take no chances and arrange the marriage as soon as possible.

Later at night when her mother retired to bed after the day`s work, Ilaa decided to speak to her mother.

“I don`t want to marry Govind.” She said.

“Who said you have to marry him?” Mother said.

“Father. Didn’t he declare so in the afternoon?” Ilaa said.

“That`s his view, and he can`t be blamed either. Daughters should be married above and for all I know, Govind is richer than us. So, there is nothing wrong in the thought. But, my daughter`s happiness is the most important consideration for me. If you aren’t willing, I won`t force you.” Her mother assured her.

Ilaa cuddled her mother, “I love you mother, I know; only you will understand me.”

Her mother, while accepting the praise, said, “Will you tell me the truth?”

“Yes, Mother. Ask me, what you want to know.”

“Who is he? For whom you are rejecting the cloth merchant?” Her mother`s voice seemed mysterious.

The night was dark; but it was darker inside the room for the oil lamp, the only source of light, was stubbed out. Ilaa squinted to guess her mother`s expression, but all she saw was a blurry silhouette. The elderly lady probably had kept her eyes closed, though she wasn’t asleep yet, waiting for her daughter to reply to her question.

“A soldier.” She said and thanked the darkness to provide her the anonymity.

"A soldier?" Her mother said."What's his name?"
"I don't know."
"You said you have chosen him!"
"I don't know anything about him except for he is a soldier".
"Oh my god! I thought you had something in your head! But it seems you have nothing but cow dung."
Ilaa didn't speak. Her mother spoke again.
"Did you meet him today?"
"No. When we last met, a fortnight ago, he had asked my name."
"So you told yours but didn't ask his!"
"I was nervous mother! I couldn't look at his eyes."
"Why?"
"They are so mesmerizing!"
"Silly girl! Haven’t you lost a golden opportunity? Unless you tell me the name how do we get to know about this soldier? At least we need to know that he's not married already!" “ I don`t believe he married.” “ Did you ask him?” “ No, I didn’t even ask his name!” “ You can`t trust a man at his face. I have seen more men than you, my girl!” Her mother said.
"Oh God! What's going to happen if he's married already?"
"You'd have to forget him for good."
"I can't. In that case I won't marry."
"My poor girl!" Her mother said, stroking her hair.”You will forget everything my daughter, time is one great healer. I can tell you that.”

Both remained quiet for some time. They heard a pack of jackals howling in the bamboo thickets. Soon the household dogs woke up and began barking to chase the wild animals away. The noise continued for some time, rising to a peak as the canines screamed and clawed their enemies, then the noise began to dwindle, and she heard some sad yelps of the dying dogs hurt in the fight. Soon the wail trailed into silence again, fitfully broken by the chirp of the crickets. She whispered, “mother, are you awake?” The tired woman was already asleep, she didn’t reply. Ilaa got up from the bed. She opened the window overlooking the valley.

An owl hooted from the mango tree in their back yard. The sky was dark; the bluish white incandescent moon shone behind a veil of cloud.

Soldier! Horse rider! Where are you? Illa heard herself calling.





Debashis Deb

2 comments:

  1. Nice story! Could have added more conflict, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reads well, would like to know what happened next.

    ReplyDelete