Friday 14 August 2015






Suggested by two of my writer friends, I read this book through the last week. Both my friends vouched for Hanif`s impeccable, stylish prose, and I wasn’t disappointed. It was such a pleasure to read. In addition of being witty and humorous, Hanif`s writing exuded class and perfection of the craft honed by somebody who loved written words. The book for me was a learning experience; and for once I imagined enrolling myself for some creative writing course!


Ali Shigri, an air force trainee tells the story in first person alternately with the author, who speaks in third person POV. This is one example of superior writing skill that enthrals the reader to turn the pages fast and a tool for the newbie writers to take note.


Nobody knew how the presidential aeroplane, Pak One, exploded after being airborne in 1988 with General Jia-ul Haque along with many top ranking army generals of Pakistan and the US ambassador Arnold Rachel. Hanif has weaved his own theory, which didn’t appear a cock-and-bull story for once even. President Jia-ul Haque appeared a pitiful religious old man, misunderstood by his wife and unaware of the conspiracies hatched by his own men who harboured their own secret ambitions. Hanif made us to believe in his story that unfolded slowly and deliciously like a ripe mango, peeled, pieced and served on a platter of spotless china with fork and spoon.


The novel won Shakti Bhat award, long listed for Booker and Gurdian first novel award. The book has something bright and breezy about it for the whole of the last week I felt very energetic and buoyant. I was surprised to recognise that it was Hanif`s writing that had brought the change into my psyche and taught me a thing or two, to incorporate in my own writing. Maybe like my friend, I will keep it at number eleven for the hundred books I loved to read.








No comments:

Post a Comment